Our History

The first history we know of the Temple of Israel was 1913 when the six Jewish families of Greenville began regularly meeting for discussion and observance in their homes. There are early papers from a formal organization in 1917 when the group had 

BuistAveTemplebecome somewhat larger and held services in public halls until 1928, when the original Temple was built in 1928. The Temple of Israel on Buist Avenue, in the photo on the left, was dedicated in April 1929. 

Read more: Our History